How can you help? Make a donation via PayPal, click Donate below – or call the office: 0114 2722522
A Cathedral for everyone
The Cathedral Church of St Marie has many different roles in the life of Sheffield. It continues to fulfil its original role as a parish church, serving parishioners from across the city. It provides somewhere for people passing through the city centre to pray, gather and worship during the working day. It is the Mother Church of the Diocese of Hallam and a beautiful, historic building. The restoration of the Cathedral will enable it to fulfil all those roles in a way that hasn’t been possible since the Diocese of Hallam was founded in 1980. But, if it is to do that, the Cathedral needs the help of parishioners, worshipers and visitors. St Marie’s was completed in 1850 and it is one of the masterpiece designs of the well-known architect Matthew Ellison Hadfield. Many believed that its founder, Fr Charles Pratt, had a vision that St Marie’s would one day become a Cathedral. Fr Pratt did not even live to see St Marie’s completed as a parish church, but his vision was fulfilled in May 1980, when the Diocese of Hallam was formed and St Marie’s became its Mother Church. Sadly, during the renovation and reordering work in more recent times some of the wonderful artistic features of St Marie’s were concealed, removed or damaged – among them a series of 15th century alabaster reliefs – however the new restoration will see them revealed, repaired and restored.